Just as lumber and fishing are part of Klamath Falls’ DNA, the same is true for Washington Federal. It all started in 1917 when a group of local businessmen established Ballard Savings and Loan Association in a similar community just north of Seattle. Fast forward a century later – Washington Federal has been voted Best Bank by Money magazine for 2 consecutive years and operates 236 offices in 8 western states, including Washington, Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah and New Mexico. Washington Federal became a part of our community in 2005 with one branch on South 6th Street and added South Valley branches in 2012 via aquisition.
From checking, savings and retirement accounts to home loan and corporate real estate financing, Washington Federal’s goal is to bring clarity to banking by delivering simple, straightforward banking solutions. Their common sense, disciplined approach has stood the test of time and makes them one of the strongest financial institutions in America.
Community Team Player
The bonus of having Washington Federal as a member of our community is their belief in supporting community. The Washington Federal Foundation facilitates giving to local nonprofits that serve the needs of low- and moderate-income individuals. It is part of an overall strategy beyond just dollars and includes time and action. They believe all people deserve the opportunity to dream, believe and achieve. Here a few ways the Foundation provided support in 2017:
- Supported just over $99 million dollars worth of Community Development loans towards affordable housing, as well as promoting economic development, revitalizing or stabilizing low- or moderate-income geographies, and targeting community services for low- and moderate-income individuals.
- Invested more than 17,700 volunteer hours with local organizations and initiatives
- Matched employee contributions made to United Way Agencies
- Provided complimentary meeting spaces to hold business and community meetings
- Colleague volunteers provided free tax help for low- and moderate-income families who need assistance preparing their tax return thru a program called Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA).
Our Part of their Story
SmithBates is proud to be a trusted partner, providing support and expertise to Washington Federal by developing a centrally controlled web platform that deploys and automates a variety of marketing functions for the bank. This custom resource center streamlines workflow, improves communication, combines buying power and fulfills marketing materials with shorter lead times – all while protecting brand identity and maintaining valued vendor relationships. Everything from business cards to promotional items can be customized, downloaded and printed locally or shipped to any of the bank’s branches.